Filing Fees For Divorce In Los Angeles County
The financial cost of divorce is always a concern. When hiring a divorce lawyer, it’s very important to understand the separation between paying for legal fees and the actual court fees or any other additional costs that may be incurred to file and manage your divorce documents. Family Law court filing fees are separate from the fee agreement or retainer with the attorneys at Castellanos & Associates, APLC. Our firm’s legal fees do not include filing fees and court costs and these are separate fees in addition to all court fees when filing for divorce or any other family law matter.
Filing fees are uniform throughout California and we are providing you with the schedule of fees as a convenience. However, you should be aware that the referenced fees are not a complete recitation of civil fees, are subject to on-going changes, and you can learn more about fees by reviewing the Los Angeles Superior Court’s 2014 court fee schedule here.
Fee Schedule, Effective as of January 1, 2014:
- Petition or other first paper (including a joint petition) for dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership, legal separation or nullity = $435
- Response or other first paper filed in response to petition for dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership, legal separation, or nullity = $435
- First paper in family law matter other than dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership, legal separation, or nullity = $435
- First paper filed in response in family law matter other than dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership, legal separation, or nullity = $435
- A settlement agreement or stipulation for judgment that is signed by a defaulted respondent and included in a judgment of dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership; or a stipulation to modify such an agreement if the stipulation is presented by the petitioner (defaulted respondent is not charged a first paper fee = No Fee
- Appearance, stipulation, and waiver of rights in dissolution of marriage or domestic partnership, legal separation or nullity or to establish parentage, when respondent is a member of the armed forces = no fee
- Petition for adoption (for each person to be adopted) = $20
- Filing in a proceeding to declare a minor free from parental custody and control = No fee
- Domestic violence restraining orders, including a request to obtain, modify, or enforce an order to prevent domestic violence or response to that request; and any request that is necessary to obtain or give effect to a restraining order = No fee
- Motion or request for order (formerly called an “OSC”) in family law matter = $60
- Additional charge on motion or request to order to modify or enforce custody or visitation = $25
- Stipulation and order not requiring a hearing; request or stipulation for continuance of hearing or case management conference not requiring a hearing = $20
- Stipulation that does not require an order = No Fee
- A stipulation regarding the date of termination of marital or domestic partnership status if the court has retained jurisdiction over that date = No Fee
- Petition for stepparent adoption, including investigation (up to $700) =$140
- Child Custody Evaluation – Solution Focused = $738
- Child Custody Evaluation – Full Evaluation = Varies
If you have any questions about your family law matter, or the filing or court fees you will be responsible for paying when pursuing your family law matter, please do not hesitate to contact one of our divorce & family law attorneys for assistance. We look forward to helping you!