Divorce Guides & Information

Can I Change My Name During Divorce in California?

Los Angeles Name Change Lawyers

Are you thinking about dissolving your marriage? Have you already filed for divorce? Then you may also be wondering if you can request to change your name at the same time you file for divorce, or perhaps after the divorce has been finalized.

You may have heard when Jennifer Lopez formally requested to restore her legal name from "Jennifer Muniz" to "Jennifer Lopez" when she divorced singer Marc Anthony, whose legal birth name is "Muniz". But celebrities are no longer the only ones changing their names in a divorce.

Looking to change your name after your divorce in California? Look no further than Castellanos & Associates, APLC. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with our firm!

Restoring Your Former Name in California

California law permits a husband and wife to change their names at the time they file their divorce petition or nullity proceeding. The judgment for marital dissolution can order that either spouse have their former name restored, under California Family Code Section 2080.

Forgot To Make This Request When You Filed for Divorce?

You can also request to restore your former name at any time before entry of a divorce (or annulment) judgment. Therefore, if you forget to include the request in your initial pleadings or divorce documents, then you can make the request before entry of the judgment (which is when your divorce is finalized).

Already Divorced?

Even if you already obtained the judgment dissolving your marriage, you can file a post-judgment ex parte application to restore your former name. (You will find reference to this in California Family Code Sections 2080 and 2082). To restore your name post-judgment, you prepare Judicial Council Form FL-395. There are no filing fees for this form.

Legally Changing Your Name? Get Help from An Experienced Family Law Attorney

If you need help with your divorce or legal separation, or if you need assistance preparing a post-judgment Ex Parte Application For Restoration Of Former Name, then contact our team at Castellanos & Associates, APLC today. Our attorneys provide a free initial consultation to start discussing your case in a confidential setting.


  • Yelp Badge
  • Google Average Rating
  • Certificate of Appreciation - FAmily Settlement Officer
  • 20 Year Anniversary - Proudly Serving the Community Since 1996
  • Avvo Clients' Choice Award - 2014
  • Avvo 10.0 Rating - Top Attorney
  • Avvo Superb Rating - Top Attorney Family Law
  • DSO certified

Client Testimonials

  • “This firm was also very good about offering payment options and their legal fees were surprisingly reasonable...”

    J.M. Pineda

  • “They were courteous, professional and extremely kind throughout the whole process.”


  • “We are so happy with the results and are utmost thankful for his part in our case...”

    Sergio & Brenda

  • “His expertise helped me solve a custody case that benefited my children greatly.”

    Natalia P.

  • “I would definitely recommend him to anyone. He was always prepared and would answer all the questions I needed.”

    Guila C.

Contact Our Firm

All Consultations Are Free and Confidential
  1. Over 50 Years of Combined Legal Experience
  2. Unique, Formal Training in Finance and in Law
  3. Offering Free Case Evaluations
  4. Bi-Lingual Office and Family Law Attorneys
  5. Offering Your Preference of a Male or Female Attorney
  6. Professional Relationships with Family Court Judges
  7. 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating - Top Attorney in Family Law
  8. Serving Clients in Los Angeles for Over 20 Years
Use the Form Below to Reach Our Attorneys
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.

Privacy Notice